Thrive Homeschool Program
Fall 2016 through Spring 2017
Locations: PV Recreation Center (Thrive main campus) and The Chico Creek Nature Center
Thrive provides academic and enrichment classes, science labs, nature studies, and guided exploration learning sessions for homeschoolers.
- flexible with a 1, 2 or 3 day per week drop-off learning program for homeschoolers.
- convenient for families. We are a one-stop shop for homeschool offerings that are offered on the same schedule.
- Look for the preschool and high school offerings at The Chico Creek Nature Center that operate on the same schedule, as well.
- A-G Science Wet Labs for high school students on track to go to college are also available (in a separate fee schedule).
- your choice of the Nature Immersion Program at The Chico Creek Nature Center and/or guided exploration, open structured learning sessions at the Thrive main campus.
- structured, subject specific academic and enrichment classes at both sites.
- provided in warm, inviting spaces that are optimal conditions for human learning and children’s growth.
- quality, compassionate, well-trained leaders.
- low child to adult ratios to optimize learning and safety.
- for ages 4.5 to 18 (age ranges vary by class).
- designed for homeschool students who are enrolled in a homeschool charter or privately homeschooling. Thrive is not a school and offers support and educational opportunities to families that maintain freedom over their child’s overall education.
- a vendor accepting POs from all local homeschool charters.
- a place where children are free to learn, inspire, imagine, create, play, and shine!
Our mission is to inspire a life-long love of learning by respecting each person’s individual interests, strengths, and capabilities. We encourage families to help their child choose the classes that are right for them and to plan to enroll for the entire school year to provide continuity in friendships and class structures.
Students must be enrolled at CORE or South Sutter or declared a private homeschooler. Thrive provides support and educational opportunities and is not an accredited school. Families are in charge of their child's overall education. CARD is a vendor for CORE and South Sutter and you may register with a PO using your educational funds. Supply fees must be paid by families cannot be included in the PO.
Classes are led by adults from our community who have expertise they are excited to share and teach. All classes are hands-on, project-based, and meet a minimum of three state standards. All of our class leaders have a clear background/fingerprint clearance and have been hand-selected and trained to provide your student a quality, caring class experience. Classes range from academic math classes and science labs at the Chico Creek Nature Center to enrichment based activities such as cooking, sewing, and Minecraft clubs. All classes must reach a minimum of 6 students, so start inviting your friends!
Nature Immersion Program at The Chico Creek Nature Center, located in the heart of Bidwell Park, provides hands-on natural science labs, up-close animal visits, outdoor games, arts and crafts, environmental experiences, and guided exploration of the park. We use curriculum from Project Wild and Growing up Wild to meet state standards in science, literacy, math, art, and STEM. There is plenty of indoor space pending weather and plenty of outdoor time when the weather allows.
Guided Exploration Learning Sessions at the Thrive main campus offers open structured time in a prepared environment where students are given the opportunity to explore their varied interests with the support of caring mentors. Students spend their days learning and creating with other children and adults who will inspire and guide them. A wonderful opportunity for social experiences, creative expression and student-led learning. Learning invitations are presented in an environment that fosters imagination, self-motivation, and meaningful experiences. Books, websites, magazines, nature, music, math concepts, science projects, art projects, building materials, creative play, and idea sharing will spark the imagination. Leaders work with the children to create an emergent and free flowing curriculum that derives from the imaginations of the children enrolled. State standards are met by reflecting back on work and projects students choose to participate in.
We accept POs from CORE Butte, South Sutter, Sutter Peak, Inspire North, and of course, private payment. If you are interested in using your school funds to participate you must follow the procedures below.
WHAT TO DO
3 or 4 weeks before the session
- Pay $35 annual fee per student (only once per school year). This may not be included in a PO and may be paid at the CARD office or the Chico Creek Nature Center during our respective open hours.
- Look over the schedule and decide which classes (9:30-10:50 AM and/or 3:10-4:30 PM) and main blocks (11:00 AM-3:00 PM) you are interested in, and which level that puts you in.
- Request a purchase order from your school/ES.
10 or more days before the session
- Bring a copy of the purchase order to the CARD office, or the Chico Creek Nature Center.
- Complete a CARD registration form for the dates and level that match your PO. Registration must take place 10 days before the session starts or a $20 late fee will be assessed.
- Once registered you will receive a link to register for the exact classes and main blocks. You must choose your classes and main blocks a minimum of 10 days before the session starts. Classes and main blocks must reach a minimum of 6 students or they will be cancelled and you will be notified and asked to choose another option or offered a refund.
1 week before the session
- You will receive an email confirming your class and main block choices and letting you know any pertinent information.
Thrive is a Specialty Program for Inspire North
Inspire North students who choose Thrive as their Specialty Program receive the Gold Level all school year (note: 5th session is only available on the Thrive main campus) and still have use of $1,000 in instructional funds. They will also be able to meet with their homeschool teacher and complete their portfolio reviews and assessments right at Thrive. Call or email Cyndi Pereira at 828-9288 or email@example.com to learn more.
$35 annual supply fee covers all Thrive classes or programs at either or both sites for the 2016-17 school year. Supply fees must be paid with personal funds and may not be included in a PO. Payment of supply fees allows registration in classes and programs all school year and includes a Thrive shirt.
Exact schedules with class titles, descriptions and class leader descriptions will be posted online about 1 month before the start of each session. Look for schedules on www.ChicoRec.com, www.BidwellPark.org, www.ThriveChico.org or on Facebook at Thrive, Homeschool Program.
10-14 year olds
4.5-12 year olds
4.5-12 year olds
4.5-12 year olds
13-18 year olds
|9:30-10:50 AM Classes||2 or 3 class options at each site||3 or 4 class options at each site||3 or 4 class options at the Thrive main campus||3 or 4 class options at each site||Possible class options for various ages.|
11:00 AM-3:00 PM
|A-G Science Wet Labs** or Thrive Guided Exploration||Nature Immersion or Thrive Guided Exploration||Thrive Guided Exploration||Nature Immersion or Thrive Guided Exploration||A-G Science Wet Labs** or Thrive Guided Exploration|
|2 or 3 class options at each site||3 or 4 class options at each site||3 or 4 class options at the Thrive main campus||3 or 4 class options at each site||2 or 3 class options at each site|
*Preschool Programs operate on the same dates and times so families can coordinate their schedules easily.
* We recommend choosing back to back main blocks and classes for ease of schedule but you may choose them on different days and at different sites as it fits your interest and schedule.
* Students in back-to-back classes and main block on the same site will be walked between classes and parents do not need to return in between. If you choose different sites, it is the family’s responsibility to transport students between classes.
**A-G Science Wet Labs are on a different fee schedule- see page 14 for details.If you have any questions please call or email Cyndi Pereira at 828-9288 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thrive Information and Registration Nights
Thursdays from 5:00-7:00 PM (drop-in)
February 1st and March 9th
Chico Creek Nature Center, 1968 E. 8th Street
Thrive is open 9/6/16 to 5/26/17*
*5th session (4/18/17 to 5/26/17) is only available on the Thrive main campus.
No class 2/17, 2/20, 3/14-3/17, 4/3-4/7, 4/14, and 4/17
Please confirm the schedule for your child’s age/level and interests for each session before choosing the level. After registration and payment you will choose the exact classes and main blocks your student will attend.
The best deal for the student who loves to join us and/or the parent who needs some childcare. Unlimited main blocks and classes at either or both sites (within the same 6 week session to be used by one student). Students may only enroll in main blocks and classes that fit their age/level. Most ages/levels only have 2 or 3 days per week available. If a 4th day is available it is optional.
This level is perfect if you are looking for a solid two day a week program. This level includes two main blocks and two classes at either or both sites (within the same 6 week session to be used by one student). Students may only enroll in main blocks and classes that fit their age/level.
A great option for families who only want a few hours of classes. This level is for one main block and one class at either or both sites (within the same 6 week session to be used by one student). Students may only enroll in main blocks and classes that fit their age/level.
This a la carte option allows students to attend one 6 week class that meets once a week for 1.5 hours of their choice. Students may only enroll in classes that fit their age/level.
Drop-in cards are good for 4 visits to a main block (11:00 AM-3:00 PM) at either or both sites. There are no drop-ins for classes. Drop-in visits may be at either site and may be used any time within the 2016-17 school year in which there in a class (watch for no session and no class dates). It is requested that you email email@example.com to let us know which dates you will be attending. Drop-in cards must be used before April 13, 2017 at the Chico Creek Nature Center or before May 26, 2017 at the Thrive main campus. No refunds for unused days. Note: Session 5 is only available on the Thrive main campus.