Philosophy and Code of Conduct
CARD Youth Sports Philosophy: Every participant, player, parent, coach, official and staff is considered to be part of the CARD Youth Sports team. The golden rule of the Youth Sports team is to remember that we are here for the kids (they are kids first and players second!). We want to make every child in our program not only a better athlete, but more importantly, a better person through the life skills the youth sports can provide. We strive to achieve the below goals with every single child in our Youth Sports program and leagues:
- Promote respect, citizenship and sportsmanship
- Teach the fundamentals of sports, with progression of skills, drills and game play throughout the season/program.
- Make sure all players know that they are safe, they matter, they are supported, and they are connected to the team- regardless of any difference they may have.
- Give all players the benefits and life skills that Youth Sports provides.
- Give all players a LOVE OF THE GAME that will spark an interest that will last a lifetime.
We are constantly looking at way to improve, learn from our mistakes, and provide the best possible programming for the youth of our community. We are passionate about Youth Sports and how it can positively impact a child's life. We are passionate about the "bigger picture" of what makes Youth Sports great.
We pride ourselves in constantly looking to improve our leagues and programs to better serve our community- and your feedback is vital to helping us achieve that goal. Click here to complete a short survey about your Youth Sports Participation.
CARD Code of Conduct: To ensure the safety of all participants and staff in our programs, individuals are responsible for adhering to program policies whenever at the program. this includes use of appropriate language, a civil tone of voice, calm demeanor, respecting personal space and maintaining professional boundaries. Any person who does not meet conduct expectations will be asked to leave the premises immediately, and the participant may be removed from the program. Click here to see more specifics.
Types of Programming
ShortE Sports programs are typically for ages 3-5 years old and features CARD paid coaches that create a positive, non-threatening environment for your little one to gain a “love of the game.” Staff use age appropriate equipment, modify stations and games, and are trained specifically for toddlers to make sure all participants are set up for success. You will not be contacted by a coach, and should show up the first day at your registered time ready to play. General youth sports jersey are optional (can be purchased at the CARD Office for $15).
Little Athletes programs are typically for grades K-2nd and features CARD paid coaches that create a positive, non-threatening environment to allow athletes to excel. Coaches will work with players the first 2-3 weeks to introduce the sport using basic skill techniques and formations, and build confidence in each player to get them ready to play. The last 2-3 weeks will be 20 minute practices and 40 minute formal games each day. Fundamentals and simple game strategy will be taught throughout the program. Staff use age appropriate equipment, modify stations and games, and are trained specifically to make sure all participants are set up for success. You will not be contacted by a coach, and should show up the first day at your registered time ready to play. General youth sports jersey are optional, but highly recommended for the program scrimmages (can be purchased at the CARD Office for $15).
Academies, Camps and Clinics are available for grades 2nd-8th and are coached by our outstanding paid CARD staff, and focus on building fundamentals through skills, drills, stations and small sided games to best allow your player to excel at the game. Each session will progressively build in more game play, and focus on FUN to ensure you player wants to keep coming back for more.
All leagues for 5th grade and below are coached by a volunteer CARD coach, with a 7-game guarantee during the season (no end of season tournament). Each team will have approximately one practice and one game a week during the season (this may vary slightly by team). Score is only kept for the 5th grade (no score for 4th grade and below) in order to allow coaches to emphasis creating better athletes, and more importantly, better people by using youth sports as a vessel to learn life skills.
Genders and grades will be separated if there are enough players (this historically happens in basketball, but not flag football or volleyball). If there are not enough players, they will be combined. Teams will be loosely based on where the player attends school, with a mandatory skills evaluation being held by CARD staff for schools that have enough players registered for more than one team.
Volunteer coaches can click here to find our Volunteer Application process.
All leagues for 6th grade and up are coached by paid CARD coach, with a 7-game guarantee- including a single elimination end of season tournament (game 7 is the start of the tournament). Score will be kept each game, and teams will be seeded for the tournament based on their league standings. Each team will have one practice and one game a week during the season (this may vary slightly by team).
Genders and grades will be separated if there are enough players (this historically happens in basketball, but not flag football or volleyball). If there are not enough players, grades will be combined. Teams will be loosely based on where the player attends school, with a mandatory skills evaluation being held by CARD staff for schools that have enough players registered for more than one team.
Coaches intereted in becoming a CARD paid staff can click here to see open positions available.
Special Request Information
In order to better serve our participants, we allow the option to submit one buddy request or one practice request for each league. Please note that participants must submit one request as we cannot accept buddy AND practice requests. Coach requests are not accepted.
Buddy Requests: Due to the large volume of requests, please make sure to follow the below carefully to ensure your request is valid. Please keep in mind these are requests only and we can never guarantee the request will be honored.
- All requests must be turned in during the registration process. No buddy requests will be taken on site
- You may only submit ONE buddy request for your child. Requesting more than one will automatically void your request.
- A buddy request must be completed and submitted by both requesting parties (buddies must request each other). For example Tommy can request Johnny, but Johnny also must request Tommy in return in order for the request to be valid.
- Requested "buddy" must be in the same grade and attend the same school.
Practice Requests: Due to the large volume of requests, participants may request one day during the week which they cannot practice. Practice times and locations are ultimately up to teh coaches availability, but with the practice request information we do our best to accomadate. Please keep in mind these are requests only and we can never guarantee the request will be honored.
- All requests must be turned in during the registration process. No practices requests will be taken on site
- You may only submit ONE day in which practices do not work for your family. Requesting more than one will automatically void your request.
In an effort to reduce program costs and offer lower program fees to our customers, we will be using a single jersey for all elementary sports. Each elementary sport will note whether the jersey is mandatory or optional in the sports description. Jerseys are available for purchase in the CARD office for $15. If you buy a jersey and your child out grows it, or is no longer going to use it, please donate it back to CARD for our "Almost New" jersey program that will help youth sports families in need of a jersey!
SPORT PROGRAM | JERSEY REQUIREMENT
Academies, Camps and Clinics | Jersey purchase optional
Little Athletes Sports | Jersey purchase optional
ShortE All Stars/Toddler Sports | Jersey purchase optional
Flag Football Leagues | Jersey purchase required. Mouthguards required to particpate in practices and games. No red or yellow shorts/pants worn during games.
Elementary Basketball Leagues | Jersey purchase required
Jr. High & High School Basketball Leagues | Jersey cost included in cost of registration
Volleyball Leagues | Team shirt included in cost of registration
Jr. Giants Leagues | Team shirt included in registration
Practice Information for Leagues
All leagues are required to have at least one practice per week during the season (weather permitting for some sports).
Sport League | Practice Information
Flag Football Leagues | Practice time and location is determined by the volunteer coach
Elementary Basketball Leagues | Practice time and location is determined by the volunteer coach (could be outside if no other gym space is available). Coaches pick practice times/day based on when they turn in their volunteer application.
Jr. High & High School Basketball Leaguges | Practice time and location is assigned to the coach by CARD at a community gym based on availability.
Volleyball Leagues | Practice time and location is assigned to the coach by CARD at a community gym based on availability.
Jr. Giants Baseball Leagues | Practice time and location is determined by the volunteer coach
Team Formation Information for Leagues
- Participants must register by school and their current grade. CARD reserves the right to ask for confirmation regarding school and grade of it's participants if necessary. Children who are home schooled will be placed at the discretion of the Recreation staff. All teams are ultimately formed at the discretion of the Recreation Supervisor.While participants register by school, leagus are CARD programs and are in no way governed by the schools or any school district.Participants must register in the grade they are attending, unless special permission has been given by the Recreation staff (to get permission to play up one grade, please email us at (redacted); (redacted)). We do not allow athletes to play up more than one grade unless we are very familiar with their skill level.
- CARD reserves the right to add additional players to any team in order to meet the needs of the program.Schools should not recruit only enough players to stay below the maximum as this does NOT guarantee that the school will not be combined with another we want everyone to play!
- The head coach's child and one assistant' coach's child will be guaranteed placement on that particular team.
- If a school does not have enough players to fill a team, CARD reserves the right to distribute those players to other teams. There is no guarantee they will kept together, but we will do our best to do so.
- It is the discretion of the Recreation Supervisor and Recreation Coordinator to form teams for the best interest of the majority of the participants and the best interest of the league.